Modifications and Repairs
note: goes from newest to oldest.
- Transmission Cooler Line Replaced -- 4/10/2008
Worn out, leaking transmission fluid like crazy. Lucked out, Advance auto
had my line in. $20. Devon, my nephew, came over and took care of it.
I still have to bolt the shield back on, oops!
- Misc Brake and Wheel Repairs -- 10/19-10/29/2007
- Rear passenger-side wheel hub - one of the bolts stripped , had to beat it to death and torch it to get it to come out. the self adjusting clip fell out. upon putting it back together, noticed the...
- Passenger-side Brake / Wheel Cylinder (rear pass.) had a hole in it. While fixing that, the
- brake line broke because of rust. replaced. afterwards brakes barely worked, pulled driver side for reference, discovered
- Driver-side wheel cylinder punctured. while replacing, found the bolts used were incorrect , went to lowes and got new ones. reassembled. put a
- new self adjuster kit pass. side then bled the brakes. rebled a week later.
- New Belt -- 6/22/2007
After the water pump started flaking and seizing, causing belts to shred,
I had it replaced. To save me money though, the mechanic didn't put
a new belt on.
So, I figured that wouldn't be a bad idea, considering I was planning on
driving to Long Beach Island, NY, 300 miles one way, that weekend. $31,
good deal for a good, non-generic belt.
- Water Pump replaced -- 6/8/2007
My belt got shredded, I replaced it, then that one got shredded. Something
more than the belt was going on the car. The ever increasingly volumonous
puddles of antifreeze underneath the car definitely was a good indication
that the water pump was causing the belt issues. Called my mechanic,
dropped it off that night. Water pump replaced, including labor $80.
- Replaced belt -- 6/5/2007
A pulley noise that was almost non-existent became progressively louder
since I got the car. Didn't worry about it, until it got too loud, and
eventually the voltmeter would flake. Thought it was the alternator.
Then, one day I'm driving and I lose my alternator and all the belt-driven
accessories. Pulled over, belt is wrapped around the a/c compressor.
Limped the car to work since I was almost there anyway.
Later that night got out of work, got a ride home to get tools, to the autoparts
store for a belt, and put it on in my work parking lot. Car seemed okay again... Cheapo belt, $30.
- Replaced wipers -- 5/24/2007
Anco, the good ones. $12 for both.
- Bought car -- 5/17-19/2007
Short version of the story: Realizing that my other cars patience to live
was wearing thin, transferred the money and called my nephew who had offered
me his 1993 Buick for $2200. He is studying to become an auto mechanic, and
I always was impressed with the car. It books for around that. Offered him
$1800. He came over, I paid him, and got the title. Next day, tried to get to
DMV but Warren County DMV sucks and I didn't have 2 hours to wait in line.
Next day, drive the '85 to Binghamton NY DMV because they're open Saturday's.
Car dies 2 miles from Binghamton. Timing chain. Walked to an ATM, got cash
for a cab, and took cab to DMV. Got the plates. Pete drove down and
picked me up, brought me to my sister's to get the Buick. :-)
Stuff to do: